Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Indian Food

I am known to be a picky eater. Since one of my missions in creating this blog is to open myself up and try new things, I have recently decided that for the next month or more, I am not allowed to order any of my regular dishes at restaurants. This means no Chicken Fajitas, no Eggplant/Chicken/Veal Parmesan, no Fish and Chips, and no Pasta Bolognese. I plan to blog about some of the dishes I try.

Well, last night I went out with my mom's office for a dinner to say goodbye to a couple of departing staff members. Turned out the location was an Indian restaurant. My number one food rule is nothing spicy. I just don't like it. I don't even like pepper. But, I was there, so I decided to try to make the best of it. The food was laid out in a buffet, and I went down the line and took a bunch of different things. I'd tell you what there was, but I have no idea what any of the names were.

I tried the first item on my plate, and it was spicy. I tried to just keep going, but it got worse. So, I moved on to something that was like potato in a puffy crust. The outside was good, but I definitely got a kick of something as I kept eating it. I continued on and tried everything I had picked up. Ultimately the only things that were mild enough to be edible were the chicken and the pita bread. The bread was really good, while the chicken I didn't like all that much.

So what did I learn? That I can't will myself to like spicy food. But also that even in an Indian restaurant I can probably find something to eat. I think I'm still inclined to avoid Indian food though, unless someone can arm me with knowledge of which foods are completely not spicy.

No comments:

Post a Comment